April 25, 2012
The Paramount Theater in downtown Charlottesville is hosting its own Idol-esque singing competition. "Cattle Call" style auditions will be held on May 12.
The competition, which will be modeled after American Idol, is free to enter but participants must be 15 years of age or older and the contest is limited to the first 500 individuals who register.
The event will include three rounds of competition:
- Round #1 - May 12: Auditions - 30-40 selected to move to the next round
- Round # 2 - May 19: Second Round - 10 selected to move to final round
- Round # 3 - May 23: Final Contest - The final contest will be the main event and will consist of each contestant singing in front of the final celebrity judge panel who will be judging the live, finale event. To date, our confirmed judges are Bruce Flohr (Red Light Management) and Andy Waldeck (Warner Brothers and Giant Records recording artist). The contestants will be accompanied by the live band In Full. The final three will be selected and the winners will be announced, the contest will conclude with the broadcast of the American Idol finale on The Paramount's big screen.
All participants will sing a song of their choosing "a capella style." No instruments, duets, groups, or bands will be allowed. Prizes include:
- First Place: $1,000 cash; professional consultation session with Red Light Management; professional demo recording session at The Sound recording studio.
- Second Place: $500 cash; professional demo recording session at The Sound recording studio.
- Third Place: $250 Cash; professional demo recording session at The Sound recording studio.
The competition will be hosted and emceed by our own Tara Wheeler. All proceeds from the event will benefit the nonprofit mission of The Paramount Theater and will help offset the arts education programs.
For more information, or to register, click here.