June 15, 2005
Fire erupted inside a barn at Stoney Point in northwest Albemarle County this evening. Stony Point firefighters responded to the barn fire just around 8 p.m. at 3365 Stony Point Road tonight. A homeowner called 9-1-1 after he saw smoke coming from his barn.
When firefighters arrived they found the back wall of the barn smoldering. Immediately they called for a second alarm bringing dozens of firefighters, including a tanker from Fluvanna County to the scene. After going around the to the rear of the barn, they discovered a car parked against the back wall that had totally melted.
"Apparently there is an electric fence between the car and the barn, it is only about a 3 foot clearance and there are some tall grasses growing there. We are just speculating at this time but we think probably the fire started from the electric fence, igniting dry grass. That caught the truck and trailer on fire and that radiated from the barn," said Chief Tom Armentrout.
Fire officials tell us that the homeowner was lucky. If he had not walked out of his home and saw the smoke coming from the rear of the barn, he could have lost thousands of dollars in valuable farm equipment. There were no injuries in this incident.
The barn has some structural damage, but the fire was mostly contained to a small area.