June 17, 2005
If you're looking for a good place to drink wine, look no further. Life Magazine has named Charlottesville as The Best New Place to Drink Wine. Twenty-one wineries on the Monticello Wine Trail make this the perfect weekend get away for wine lovers.
Here is the complete list:
1. Charlottesville, VA: Best New Place to Drink Wine; Twenty-one wineries on the Monticello Wine Trail combined with the lack of snooty angst makes this town the perfect weekend tour.
2. Pacific Grove, CA: Most Romantic Town (West); Offers beautiful sunset view of the Pacific as well as some of the best seafood around.
3. Hannibal, MO: Best All-American Town; Calling all Mark Twain fans! As the author's hometown, everything from the beer distribution to the downtown diner is named after him.
4. June Lake, CA: Best Low-Key Adventure Town; Located in the middle of a chain of four lakes in the Eastern Sierra, this great town of only 600 proves to be relaxing as well as affordable.
5. Fredericksburg, TX: Best Hill Town; Perfect for both cyclists and hikers, the hills of this scenic town are steep enough to make your trek challenging, but not so extreme that you'd need to be a professional to conquer them.
6. Traverse City, MI: Best Place to Catch a Fish; With its proximity to Lake Michigan and huge variety of fish, Traverse is indeed the best place to catch a fish
7. Silverton, CO: Best Mountain Escape; This old mining town positioned in the Rockies is tucked away within the 1.9 million-acre San Juan National Forest, home to five 14,000-foot peaks. In addition to climbing, hiking and white-water rafting are also favorite pastimes.
8. Lake Placid, NY: Best Off-Season Ski Town; This Alpine-style village is the epicenter to the huge green zone of family-friendly lakes, streams, and peaks in northern New York.
9. Cedar Key, FL: Best Place to Pass Island Time; Composed of mostly fisherman, clammers, and artists, this weather-beaten hideout allows visitors to relax on the pier off Dock Street, partake in bird-watching or devour the cocktails at Frog's Landing Restaurant.
10. Beaufort, SC: Most Romantic Town (East); With historic homes shaded by moss-draped oak trees and romantic walks along the river, Beaufort has been the filming spot for several films including Forrest Gump and The Big Chill.