November 25, 2005
A fire destroyed parts of a home in Nelson County Friday afternoon. It started around 2:30.
The man called firefighters after he smelled smoke coming from the attic. He managed to grab his pets before making it out safely.
Fire officials were able to get the fire under control within half an hour. Officials think it was the case of a chimney fire that raged out of control.
"He had a fire last night [in his fireplace] and he said he had a small one going today. The way it looks right now, it started in the rafters beside the chimney," said David Graves of the Rockfish Fire Department.
Fire fighters said the upstairs level of the house is ruined.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.