Albemarle County Fire Leaves One Person Dead

By: Marcus Washington
By: Marcus Washington

December 23, 2005

An early morning house fire in Albemarle County took the life of one man and destroyed his home. Investigators believe the fire was started in the kitchen near the stove.

"I woke up this morning and I went to turn my car on to go to work and I see [the news] in my front yard and I see fire trucks. I just wanted to know what was going on," said one neighbor.

Albemarle County Fire and Rescue responded to an early morning blaze in the 2500 block of Commonwealth Drive a little before 3:00 a.m. today, waking up several people who live on the same street.

"I walked. I actually started walking around the house to see if I could see anything, [or] hear anything," explained neighbor Dale Williams. "I didn't hear anything. Soon after I got here I heard the sirens."

Firefighters arrived to find a house engulfed in flames. Williams lives two doors down from where the flames erupted and knew someone lived in the home. "I tell you I'm just concerned about the people," he said. "I hope everybody is alright."

Unfortunately, fire officials confirm one person has been found dead inside the house.

"As they put the fire out, the crews discovered a body within the living room area of the house. Right now we are continuing to put the fire out, and there are five officers on the scene investigating the incident," said Chief Dan Eggleston with the Albemarle County Fire Department as it all was happening.

Fire Investigators say that the fire started in the kitchen area around the stove. There is no evidence of any fire detectors inside the home.

Although the exact cause of the fire may not be known for some time, the pain for some neighbors is here right now.

"I'm still in shock. I still can't believe this. I'm just trying to get ahold of his son but he's not answering his cell phone. It's crazy," said one neighbor.

Family members of the victim have been notified.


The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2111227 - newsplex.com/a?a=2111227
Gray Television, Inc.