WCAV-WVAW-WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News, Weather & Sports

House Fire a Reminder to Not Overload Electrical Wiring


August 26, 2013

Albemarle County firefighters are using a weekend house fire as a reminder to check your home for any dangerous wiring.

Crews responded to a fire at a mobile home on Diamond Court on Saturday morning.

One person was hospitalized and the home is considered a total loss.

Officials say the fire was caused by an overloaded power-strip that likely wasn't properly certified.

"So what you have to look for when you're shopping is on the back of the surge protector there will be a silver typically reflective U-L emblem that will tell you that it's been tested and certified to be able to withstand a certain amount of electricity and also to trip in the event of an overload," said Shawn Maddox of Albemarle County Fire Rescue.

The fire department is also reminding people to check the batteries in their smoke detector twice a year.

If you don't have a working smoke detector in your home, you can call the Albemarle County Fire Department and they will come install one for you.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.

  • Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. We will not post comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.
  • We will not post comments that use hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our website.
  • Comments should not attack other readers or people featured in our stories personally. Any accusations should be backed up with facts.
  • Any comment we post will be posted in its entirety. We do not edit any comment that we post.
     
  • Comments should contribute to the discussion. We will not post comments that don't advance the discussion. Flaming and/or trolling will not be tolerated.
     
  • Comments should not attack other posters. Let's keep the focus on the content of the story.

    As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.

    If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to webmaster@newsplex.com.

 

powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 221172441