August 26, 2013
Albemarle County firefighters are using a weekend house fire as a reminder to check your home for any dangerous wiring.
Crews responded to a fire at a mobile home on Diamond Court on Saturday morning.
One person was hospitalized and the home is considered a total loss.
Officials say the fire was caused by an overloaded power-strip that likely wasn't properly certified.
"So what you have to look for when you're shopping is on the back of the surge protector there will be a silver typically reflective U-L emblem that will tell you that it's been tested and certified to be able to withstand a certain amount of electricity and also to trip in the event of an overload," said Shawn Maddox of Albemarle County Fire Rescue.
The fire department is also reminding people to check the batteries in their smoke detector twice a year.
If you don't have a working smoke detector in your home, you can call the Albemarle County Fire Department and they will come install one for you.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.