December 8, 2013
An apartment complex in Downtown Charlottesville was evacuated Sunday night after a fire broke out in one of the units.
The fire began just before 7 p.m. Sunday night at the Tarleton Square apartments on High Street in Charlottesville.
The two-alarm fire began in a third-floor apartment and began spreading to the attic. Fire officials say the cause was a malfunction in a heating and air conditioning unit.
"When they made interior access to the structure, they found in that room that the fire had also made access to the attic, so we had a serious issue of extension of fire into the attic, which could have affected the entire building," fire chief Charles Werner said.
Firefighters and first responders had to battle with icy conditions while fighting the blaze.
A bus provided heat to displaced residents, but no injuries were reported.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.