Jan. 31, 2014
Another Albemarle County home goes up in flames, and the heating source could be to blame.
Shortly after 8:30 a.m. on Friday, a home on Porters Road caught fire. By the time firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from the roof.
Investigators say it started in the chimney. No one was hurt.
"Certainly, the very frigid cold weather has put stress and strain on a lot of heating systems," Albemarle Co. Fire Rescue Chief Dan Egglestow said. "We're seeing an increase in the number of fires, and this is a situation that's happening really nationwide."
Firefighters recommend you keep any flammable materials away from heat sources, and make sure you have working smoke detectors.
This is the fifth significant house fire in Albemarle County in recent weeks.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus