March 28, 2006
It's a simple question that no one has been able to answer. Will the teens accused of plotting to blow up two Albemarle County schools be let back into school or will they be expelled?
The school system fought hard not to answer that question today. With a gag order on the outcome of the trial, the Albemarle school system today said that they won't comment on whether the kids will be back at school or not. They say they can't release any disciplinary information to the public. Yet when the teens were arrested they were able to tell the public the kids had been suspended from school pending the outcome of the adjudication hearing.
In January, four teens were charged with planning to blow up two Albemarle County schools. The hearing wrapped up yesterday and a judge issued a court order preventing any information about the trial from being released. Today the school superintendent and a lawyer for the schools said they could not say anything about the students at all.
Criminal attorneys say that now we can only speculate.
“At least one possible interpretation would be that the judge had found the defendants not guilty of some things, perhaps guilty of some things and didn't want to have it be a general topic of speculation. I would think if they were found not guilty, the defense attorneys would be saying judge at least let us explain. Let us at least clear our defendant’s names,” said Charlottesville criminal defense attorney Lloyd Snook.
The principal of Jack Jouett Middle School today told us as far as he knows the two teens who went to his school are still suspended. He says the school board would make the final decision but he hasn't been informed of that yet.
A closed door school board meeting was scheduled for 5 p.m. today and late this afternoon we received word that it was cancelled.