June 5, 2006
Charlottesville Fire responded to the call for a gas leak off Massie Road just after 6 p.m. When they arrived on scene, they found that a construction crew had struck a four inch gas main. Firefighters entered the McCue Center, U Hall, and the Cage to evacuate all of the personnel working in the buildings. It took about 45 minutes before all three buildings were evacuated. Deputy Chief Britt Grimm says the four inch main is a significant leak.
"Usually we are looking at lines less than an inch that are running into houses, so a four inch line is a pretty good size line. We don't frequently see lines that size that we run into problems with," he said.
No one was injured in the incident and it took nearly two hours for the gas company and Charlottesville Fire to get the situation cleaned up.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.