September 27, 2006
A University of Virginia student is recovering from E.coli, after eating a bag of spinach from a local grocery store. This is one of over 100 cases of E.coli that have popped up across the country recently.
The third year UVa student, Adam Hermina, was hospitalized at UVa Medical Center suffering from severe intestinal problems, but has since been released.
Because of outbreaks like this one, spinach was taken off store shelves and off the menu at restaurants. Now, two weeks later, it seems spinach is making a comeback.
As of Wednesday, Giant Food will now carry it. Supermarket officials said they are selling spinach from Canada and Colorado, not from California, where the FDA said the E.coli problem started. Whole Foods expects to have it back on store shelves by next week.
Meanwhile the FDA is investigating where the spinach was grown and packaged in order to find out how it became tainted.
So far, one person has died from the E.coli outbreak.