October 20, 2006
Rebecca and Wooley Sullivan are leaning on the Red Cross Monday after a fire this weekend destroyed close to everything in the couple's mobile home.
"We got a call while we were out that the trailer was on fire, and I could hardly believe it, but when we got back up there it was my trailer," Wooley said.
The extensive damage left them with no clothes or food, and more importantly, no shelter for these chilly nights. That's when Red Cross stepped in.
"We took the family, we comforted them, we put them in a hotel on 5th street extended which is the Holiday Inn and also we gave them money for food," Red Cross volunteer Isaac Strother said.
"They did an excellent job, responded to us quickly and got us a place to stay," Rebecca said.
Volunteers are also busy at work providing necessities to the Fluvanna family we told you about after a fire gutted their home on Saturday.
"I came home and there was a line of fire trucks in front of the house. The fire had been put out," Janet Morris said.
Janet, her fiance and three children turned to family members for support until they too could receive aid.
"We serviced that family this morning, we put them in a hotel and also provided for them," Strothers said.
Volunteers said this time of year can be the hardest for disasters like these, but that it's also the most common.
"This time of the year, it's the worst, a lot of fires, wood burning stoves as well as turkey frying and shortage of wiring in the homes," Strothers said.
If you would like information about donating to either family, you can contact the Red Cross at 434-979-7143 or the Salvation Army at 434-295-4058.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.