February 15, 2007
Legislation that would ban anyone under the age of 18 from using a cell phone while driving passed unanimously in a House of Delegates committee Thursday.
This is the third consecutive year that Senator Jay O'Brien has proposed the cell phone ban. A similar bill died in a narrow margin earlier in the session.
O'Brien says that cell phones are a dangerous distraction for novice drivers and that it's appropriate to prohibit the use of any wireless telecommunications device until they have had miles and miles of experience.
"Thirteen states and the District of Columbia already ban cell phone use by teen drivers" said O'Brien.