Hazmat Crews at Omni Hotel

March 10, 2007

An employee mixed the chemicals thinking both were the same, but they were two different types of bleaches when mixed, a white cloud of smoke formed.

That's when employees at the Omni called officials, but the situation was quickly under control.

“There was no violent explosion. There was no highly dangerous toxic cloud that moved out of the building or anything like that. It was contained to the washroom where the chemicals were mixed. It was corrosive and probably damaging to your lungs if you had breathed it in right then and there, but that cloud was disseminated very quickly,” said Sgt. Mike Farruggio, Charlottesville Police Department.

The sergeant said these chemicals have now been removed by a company specializing in the disposal of dangerous materials.

The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 6422097 - newsplex.com/a?a=6422097