May 9, 2007
The hearing for two middle school students charged with placing hoax bombs at Albemarle County schools back in March began Wednesday.
"The Commonwealth attorney's office is very pleased with the results of the hearing held today. It had been the forefront of our mind, the safety of our children," said Jim Camblos, Commonwealth's attorney.
Back in March, children and administrators arrived at Henley Middle and Brownsville Elementary schools to find three suspicious devices and a threatening letter outside their schools. The schools were shut down and the entire community put on edge.
The devices turned out to be fake. Two days later, police announced the arrest of two 13-year-olds. Those juveniles were in court Wednesday, and without revealing the exact outcome, the Commonwealth says parents can now rest easy.
"If I had children that were at Henley or Brownsville or Western, I would have no hesitation to send them into those schools," said Camblos.
This isn't the end of the case. The judge scheduled another hearing for July. Presumably, if the students were tried and found guilty, this new hearing would be for their sentencing.
"No one wants to see another Virginia Tech or Columbine or any of the tragedies that have happened in the last several years," said Camblos.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.