September 3, 2007
A 4-year-old boy was wearing rubber clog like shoes called Crocs when his foot got caught in an escalator at the Tyson's Galleria Mall in northern Virginia.
The boy's toenail was ripped off after the escalator caught the shoe. The boy's mother, Jodi McDermott, says her son was standing still and his foot wasn't near the edge when the escalator pulled and twisted the rubber shoe in.
The boy was taken to the hospital. McDermott says told her that the incident was a common occurrence with Crocs. Metro recently issued a warning to its riders that Crocs and escalators can be a dangerous combination.
The makers of the rubber shoes maintain that the footwear is safe, and blame the escalators for the injuries.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.