Apartment Fire Evacuates Charlottesville Building

By: News Staff Email
By: News Staff Email

December 8, 2013

An apartment complex in Downtown Charlottesville was evacuated Sunday night after a fire broke out in one of the units.

The fire began just before 7 p.m. Sunday night at the Tarleton Square apartments on High Street in Charlottesville.

The two-alarm fire began in a third-floor apartment and began spreading to the attic. Fire officials say the cause was a malfunction in a heating and air conditioning unit.

"When they made interior access to the structure, they found in that room that the fire had also made access to the attic, so we had a serious issue of extension of fire into the attic, which could have affected the entire building," fire chief Charles Werner said.

Firefighters and first responders had to battle with icy conditions while fighting the blaze.

A bus provided heat to displaced residents, but no injuries were reported.

The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234989281 - newsplex.com/a?a=234989281
Gray Television, Inc.