March 24, 2014
Albemarle County Firefighters say a morning house fire was caused by improper disposal of ashes
Officials say the fire started around 6:15 a.m. Monday, in the 300 block of Westfield Road.
They say cooking ashes were left in a bucket on the deck. The deck caught fire, and then spread through the roof.
There were people at home at the time of the fire, but they all got out safely.
The fire marshal estimates more than $150,000 in damages to the house.
The American Red Cross is helping the family.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.