February 15, 2012
A 19-year-old mechanic is recovering in the Intensive Care Unit at the University of Virginia Medical Center after being burned in a fire at Walton Mountain Garage in Schuyler.
Dozens of fire units were called to the garage at 5550 Irish Road after a Nelson County volunteer firefighter reported seeing flames shortly after 7 p.m. on Tuesday. Upon arrival, crews found a fire in the garage area of the building. The outside is charred and the inside appears gutted.
The 19-year-old was working inside the garage when the sparks ignited. While he survived, much of the building did not. Fire officials estimate $25,000 in damage to the garage and another $20,000 to the contents inside, which included two vehicles.
According to investigators with the Albemarle County Fire Department, gas line vapors ignited inside the garage. The fire has been ruled accidental.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus
|There are currently no active polls at this time.
Click here to view other polls on our site and past poll results.