October 8, 2012
A large portion of the roof on the under-construction indoor football practice facility at the University of Virginia burned in a fire Monday afternoon.
Fire crews were first called out at around 12:30 to the structure on Massie Road. At that time, black smoke could be seen throughout much of Charlottesville.
The fire was extinguished shortly before 2pm.
There is no official word on a cause. Sources tell CBS19 that people were working on the structure when it caught fire.
There were no injuries.
The $13 million facility was funded through donations. The 78,000 square foot structure is right next to the outdoor field next to the McCue Center. It is designed to allow the team to practice indoors during bad weather.
The facility, named after former football coach George Welsh, was scheduled to be completed in 2013. There is no word yet on how much this fire will push that timetable back.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus