Fire Severely Damages UVa's New Indoor Practice Facility

October 8, 2012

A large portion of the roof on the under-construction indoor football practice facility at the University of Virginia burned in a fire Monday afternoon.

Fire crews were first called out at around 12:30 to the structure on Massie Road. At that time, black smoke could be seen throughout much of Charlottesville.

The fire was extinguished shortly before 2pm.

There is no official word on a cause. Sources tell CBS19 that people were working on the structure when it caught fire.

There were no injuries.

The $13 million facility was funded through donations. The 78,000 square foot structure is right next to the outdoor field next to the McCue Center. It is designed to allow the team to practice indoors during bad weather.

The facility, named after former football coach George Welsh, was scheduled to be completed in 2013. There is no word yet on how much this fire will push that timetable back.

The comments sections of are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173141511 -
Gray Television, Inc.