Calm After The Storm: Clark Court Residents Back In Their Homes

By: Jessica Cunnington Email
By: Jessica Cunnington Email

February 23, 2013

After neighbors were evacuated for nine hours during a standoff crisis Friday, local and state police tried to negotiate with James Kardos and chose to enter the Clark Court home and take him into custody.

State Police say after a couple of hours of no communication, no movement inside of the home and no negotiation response, it was in everyone's best interest to have police enter the home.

It was a long Friday night for local law enforcement agencies, Virginia State Police and residents of the Lake Monticello community.

After countless police officers, hostage negotiators and even snipers, it is all cleared and on Saturday, Clark Court seems like it is back to normal. Families are back in their homes and some are still a little shocked at what happened on their quiet, close-knit cul-de-sac.

"I'd never think this would happen on the lake, not here. I'm glad it's over though, just crazy it happened two doors down, you know," said Charles Hoven in the early morning hours on Saturday after police allowed residents to go back on their property.

Hoven says he saw two failed attempts to 'scare' the suspect, Kardos, with what apparently looked like a flash bang tactic. Hoven says he also knew the woman police say Kardos assaulted earlier Friday afternoon before the stand-off started.

George Tamaras lives two houses down from where the stand-off took place and said when he heard people were being evacuated he had to get back to his home because his two daughters were home alone with a babysitter.

"First the officers told me to back down but then my wife called and said the girls were really scared, and I don't know if she said hysterical but then I had to just ask the police if there was something they could do," said Tamaras.

Tamaras, his two daughters and the babysitter who also lives in the neighborhood, were in the basement trying to stay calm knowing there were officers and snipers surrounding the area.

"I was terrified when I heard that one gunshot or whatever it was, I just told Julia 'It's gonna be okay just stay calm,'" said 12-year-old Paige Tamaras.

George's wife, Kristen, says James' father, who lives in the home the stand-off took place at, is 'the nicest guy.' She also said anytime she's seen James in the front yard, he would wave and seemed very polite.

Kardos is in custody at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail and is charged with four felonies and a misdemeanor.

The comments sections of are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 192769501 -
Gray Television, Inc.