Family Still Getting Recall Notices For GM Car In Fatal Crash

By: Jaclyn Piermarini Email
By: Jaclyn Piermarini Email

June 11, 2014

The family of a man killed a crash in 2009 say they are still getting recall notices for his car. His Pontiac G5 is one of the cars that have been linked to the faulty ignition switch that could cut power steering and airbags.

It’s something they would have given anything to know. But by the time Ben Hair's parents started getting recall notices for his G5, he had already died in a car crash on Stony Point Road.

As the ignition-switch issue started publicly coming to light, General Motors began sending out recall notices. But they didn't cross reference their mailing list with the families of people that had died in those cars, including people that had potentially died because of that exact issue.

In fact, in the days surrounding GM's apology for sending recall notices to families of potential victims, Brenda and Gordon Hair once again opened their mailbox to find two more notices.

Gordon Hair said it make it really hard to believe GM is genuinely sorry.

"They say I’m sorry that we are sending recall notices out to people who have died in our automobiles and then four days later we receive a recall notice for what they just apologized and said we're sorry we're not going to do it anymore."

That the car could have had issues is nothing they need reminding of. The car is long gone, totaled in the accident that killed their son in 2009.

Brenda Hair has been asking GM for years to stop sending her the recall letters and postcards. She made phone calls and visited dealerships, called corporate headquarters.

"Every two to three months for the last four years and anything I tried to do to get it stopped didn’t work."

All in the hopes they would take her off the mailing list once they knew she no longer had the car because her son had died in it.

"I told them my son is dead, I don't want any more reminders. And I can’t believe GM didn’t have any way of tracking the instances of parents calls."

And still, the CEO of GM says there could be more notices coming.

The Hairs have filed a lawsuit in federal court against GM.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 262813231 - newsplex.com/a?a=262813231
Gray Television, Inc.