May 24, 2013
The summer cookout season is approaching, which means grills are being dusted off and prepared for family fun and cookouts.
The Charlottesville Fire Department is reminding everyone to practice these safe steps whenever you fire up that grill:
- Before using the grill, check the connection between the propane tank and fuel line.
- Do not wear loose clothing near the grill
- Never grill indoors
- Never use gasoline to start charcoal grills
- Never grill on balconies of apartments or condominiums
- Keep children and pets away from grilling area
The US Fire Administration reports that each year, the fire service responds to an estimated 6,500 grill fires. These fires account for 150 injuries, a handful of deaths, and $27.6 million in property loss.
For any other grilling and public safety information, visit CFDonline.org or contact the Charlottesville Fire Department at 970-3328.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.