Firefighters Called Out to Gas Leak at Construction Site


July 17, 2014

A construction worker caused a brief evacuation Thursday morning at an Albemarle County construction site.

Shortly before 8:30 a.m., a worker with a hand tool struck a gas line at the location for the new Northside Library.

Investigators say people were removed from the area until the gas department could fix the leak.

Firefighters were on standby just in case.

"It’s not uncommon to have a gas leak at a construction site,” says Scott Kem with Albemarle Co. Fire and Rescue. “More often than not, it's usually heavy equipment like a back hoe that will hit an underground line. But really our role is to just be prepared if anything would ignite which fortunately is a pretty rare occurrence."

Traffic was restricted in the area until crews could fix the leak. The road has since reopened.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 267500861 - newsplex.com/a?a=267500861