July 17, 2014
A construction worker caused a brief evacuation Thursday morning at an Albemarle County construction site.
Shortly before 8:30 a.m., a worker with a hand tool struck a gas line at the location for the new Northside Library.
Investigators say people were removed from the area until the gas department could fix the leak.
Firefighters were on standby just in case.
"It’s not uncommon to have a gas leak at a construction site,” says Scott Kem with Albemarle Co. Fire and Rescue. “More often than not, it's usually heavy equipment like a back hoe that will hit an underground line. But really our role is to just be prepared if anything would ignite which fortunately is a pretty rare occurrence."
Traffic was restricted in the area until crews could fix the leak. The road has since reopened.