February 27, 2013
A University of Virginia residence hall was evacuated Wednesday morning after a mysterious white powder was found in a microwave.
The Charlottesville Fire Department arrived on the scene of LeFevre House around 10 a.m. Wednesday. The found the microwave had a sign on it reading, "Use at your own risk." That sign, plus the white powder inside, is what prompted the scare and the building evacuation.
After some tests on the scene, the fire department determined the white powder was baking soda, which some students were using to get rid of an odor in the microwave from the night before.
Still, firefighters said they didn't want to take any risks.
"We've looked at talcom powder in locker rooms and things like that," said Britt Grimm, Charlottesville's deputy fire chief. "They typically tend to be pretty benign, but we would prefer, just like we would with a fire alarm, to assume that it's potentially the real thing."
Students were allowed to return to their rooms around 11 a.m.
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus