August 15, 2013
Governor Bob McDonnell announced on Thursday that nearly $1 million in matching grant funds will be awarded to 54 local tourism initiatives as part of Virginia Tourism Corporation’s Marketing Leverage Grant program.
The grants help local and regional tourism entities attract more visitors by leveraging local marketing dollars, and will ultimately impact at least 282 other statewide tourism entities.
The local organizations match the state grant funds by a minimum of 2:1 to create marketing projects such as web sites, signage, social media, and advertisements.
“Grants such as these enable our localities to more effectively market themselves to potential visitors,” said Governor McDonnell. “When more visitors come to Virginia, the localities and the Commonwealth realize increased tax revenue, businesses prosper, and new jobs are created.”
In 2011, tourism generated $20.4 billion in revenue, supported 207,000 jobs and provided $1.32 billion in state and local taxes. According to the governor’s office, dollars invested in tourism provide a 5:1 return in tax revenue for Virginia, and the grant awards and matching funds provide a stimulus to localities seeking to increase tourism visitation and revenue.
Details on the grant awards are below.
- Culpeper Department of Tourism: Culpeper Arts Microsite and "One More Thing to LOVE" Video Development, $50,000.00
- Wise County: Wise County: Niche Marketing Play n' Stay, $10,000.00
- Great Country Farms: Shenandoah Valley Kids Trail, $25,000.00
- The Blacksburg Partnership: Step Into Blacksburg Marketing Initiative, $5,000.00
- Waterford Foundation Inc.: Waterford Homes Tour & Craft Exhibit, $6,682.33
- Blue Mountain Brewery: Blue Mountain Brewery and Barrel House Brewery Marketing, $50,000.00
- Town of Farmville: The Heart of Adventure, $5,000.00
- Birthplace of Country Music: Birthplace of Country Music Multi-Media Image Launch Campaign, $50,000.00
- Artisans Center of Virginia: Artisans Center of Virginia: Website Development to Efficiently Elevate Marketing, $3,881.50
- Pulaski County Chamber of Commerce: Introducing "The MARKETPLACE", $1,018.75
- Red Hill Patrick Henry Memorial Foundation: Bluegrass, Barbecue & Brew Festival at Patrick Henry's Red Hill, $4,966.50
- Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce: Virginia Travel Show Partnership, $16,662.50
- Virginia Motorcycle Dealers Association: Virginia Motorcycle Dealers Association - Motorcycle Grand Tour of Virginia 2013, $16,425.00
- Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance: Williamsburg Area Arts Month 2013, $25,000.00
- Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce: Smith Mountain Lake, It's Closer than You Think MOBILE Promotion', $9,658.50
- NNOVACOMM: Africana Virginia Beach 2013 featuring FunkFest, $30,605.00
- Swift Creek Mill Theatre: 2013-2014 Chesterfield for Active Seniors Tourism Initiative, $4,894.50
- Millsap-Baker Estate LLC: Destination Weddings and Overnights in Damascus, $5,000.00
- Barter Theatre: Abingdon: Barter is Just the Beginning, $25,000.00
- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest: Thomas Jefferson's Wine Festival, $5,000.00
- The State Theatre Foundation: Marketing Leverage Program for the State Theatre in Culpeper, Virginia, $50,000.00
- Town of Lawrenceville: Town of Lawrenceville Tourism Branding, $5,000.00
- The Natural Bridge: Natural Bridge Area AAA Carolinas Co-op, $8,250.00
- Staunton Convention & Visitors Bureau: Staunton Tourism Destination Marketing, Research & Strategic Plan, $50,000.00
- Town of St. Paul: Clinch River Valley Initiative: Building a Regional Identity, $10,000.00
- Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce: Shenandoah Autumnfest, $10,000.00
- Celebrating Patsy Cline Inc.: The Patsy Cline Historic House, $50,000.00
- Virginia Campground Association: Virginia is For Camping Lovers, $5,000.00
- City of Poquoson: Poquoson Marine Tourism, $5,672.00
- Northern Virginia Visitors Consortium c/o Visit Fairfax: Northern Virginia Canadian Marketing Campaign, $25,000.00
- Carroll County Tourism: Niche Markets & Networking - Blue Ridge Plateau, $34,000.00
- Orange County Department of Tourism: Orange/Madison Advertising Campaign, $25,000.00
- Alexandria Convention & Visitors Association: Presidents Passport: Northern Virginia Expansion, $50,000.00
- Stratford Hall-Robert E. Lee Memorial Association: Stratford Hall Wine and Oyster Festival Advertising, $10,000.00
- Discover Shenandoah: Discover Shenandoah - a beautiful place for wine, $2,500.00
- Holston Mountain Artisans: Block Party - A Celebration of Quilts, $850.00
- Town of Damascus: Damascus, Stay A While, $5,000.00
- Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Inc: America's Historic Triangle Marketing Program, $25,000.00
- Fish Virginia First: Fish Virginia First - Where The Fish Are, $10,000.00
- Virginia Creeper Trail Club: Virginia Creeper Trail Marketing Campaign, $10,000.00
- Abingdon Convention and Visitors Bureau: It's Always Play Time in Abingdon - Website Design, $50,000.00
- Castleton Festival: Castleton Festival - 2013 Fifth Anniversary Season, $50,000.00
- Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce & Tourism: Alleghany Highlands Outdoor Lovers Video, $3,500.00
- Bristol Convention and Visitors Bureau: Bristol CVB: Launching the Birthplace of Country Music, $25,990.00
- County of Mecklenburg: New County Tourism Branding Development, Training and Collateral, $5,000.00
- Roanoke Regional Partnership: Roanoke is for Outdoor Lovers, $21,533.00
- Floyd County Tourism Development Council: Floyd County Official Tourism Website - Visit Floyd, VA!, $5,000.00
- Arts Enter Cape Charles: Harbor for the Arts Festival Marketing Program, $10,000.00
- Franklin County Office of Economic Development: Visit Franklin County Brand Development and Marketing Initiative, $15,000.00
- Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center: Increasing Bus Tour Business to Staunton, VA, $3,466.28
- Morven Park (The Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation): Co-Marketing Loudoun's Historic Homes, $3,500.00
- Tradition Club at Stonehouse: Traditional Golf Trail 2014 Promotion,
- City of Waynesboro-Tourism: Social Buying Destination Marketing - Mountains to Main Street Campaign, $5,000.00
- Botetourt County Office of Tourism: All Trails Lead to Botetourt, $36,595.00
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
powered by Disqus