A significant amount of snow is in the forecast for Central Virginia. Below is a compiled list of tips and information to help.
Power Outage Information:
- Dominion Power Outage Map. Report an outage by calling 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)
- Rappahannock Electric Cooperative Outage Map. Report an outage by calling 1-800-552-3904.
- CHO Flight Arrival Information and CHO Flight Departure Information. Due to the forecasted winter storm, the airport is advising all passengers to check directly with their airline regarding potential flight delays or cancellations.
- Insulate pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Learn how to shut off water valves (in case a pipe bursts).
- If the pipes freeze, remove any insulation or layers of newspapers and wrap pipes in rags. Completely open all faucets and pour hot water over the pipes, starting where they were most exposed to the cold (or where the cold was most likely to penetrate).
Lower back injuries are the most common injuries during snow removal.
- Those with heart disease are at risk when shoveling too.
- Make sure you warm up before going outside.
- Be sure to take breaks.
Place a winter emergency kit in each car that includes:
- a shovel
- windshield scraper and small broom
- battery powered radio
- extra batteries
- water, snack food
- blankets, extra hats, socks and mittens
Be aware of hazards presented by downed power lines.
- Consider all wires energized and dangerous.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from the wire.
- Never remove tree limbs or other items that are touching or near a downed wire.
- Never use any object to move a downed wire.
- Stay inside the vehicle if a broken power line falls on your vehicle until help arrives.
- Warn others not to touch the vehicle and have them call for help.