House Fire a Reminder to Not Overload Electrical Wiring

August 26, 2013

Albemarle County firefighters are using a weekend house fire as a reminder to check your home for any dangerous wiring.

Crews responded to a fire at a mobile home on Diamond Court on Saturday morning.

One person was hospitalized and the home is considered a total loss.

Officials say the fire was caused by an overloaded power-strip that likely wasn't properly certified.

"So what you have to look for when you're shopping is on the back of the surge protector there will be a silver typically reflective U-L emblem that will tell you that it's been tested and certified to be able to withstand a certain amount of electricity and also to trip in the event of an overload," said Shawn Maddox of Albemarle County Fire Rescue.

The fire department is also reminding people to check the batteries in their smoke detector twice a year.

If you don't have a working smoke detector in your home, you can call the Albemarle County Fire Department and they will come install one for you.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 221172441 - newsplex.com/a?a=221172441
Gray Television, Inc.