House Fire on Porters Rd. in Albemarle Co.


Jan. 31, 2014

Another Albemarle County home goes up in flames, and the heating source could be to blame.

Shortly after 8:30 a.m. on Friday, a home on Porters Road caught fire. By the time firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from the roof.

Investigators say it started in the chimney. No one was hurt.

"Certainly, the very frigid cold weather has put stress and strain on a lot of heating systems," Albemarle Co. Fire Rescue Chief Dan Egglestow said. "We're seeing an increase in the number of fires, and this is a situation that's happening really nationwide."

Firefighters recommend you keep any flammable materials away from heat sources, and make sure you have working smoke detectors.

This is the fifth significant house fire in Albemarle County in recent weeks.

Albemarle Co. House Fires for January 2014


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 242945681 - newsplex.com/a?a=242945681