May 3, 2013
A house fire on Stoney Point Pass in Keswick leaves six people homeless. They lost nearly everything.
It was an older house and the fire took 35 people to fight. The residents who lived in the house saw the crews and flames and thought nothing inside would survive.
One resident is thankful for the one thing that was recovered so far: his bible.
"My biblo. I love you my God," said Felix Hernandez who has lived there for almost 2 years now.
"Everyday you're working, working to buy clothes,a bed and things and now it's...it's a big problem for us."
Crews were called to the scene around 10:30 a.m. Friday morning and realized with no nearby water they were going to need all the help they could get.
"We had to establish a water supply at a local pond and shuttle the water back and forth," said Albemarle County Fire Rescue Chief Dan Eggleston. "It's gonna take a lot of overhaul we have to get in there when we have the majority of the fire out and basically extinguish every last bit."
Smoke filled the air as trucks transported water throughout the day and Albemarle County Police helped detour traffic away from a section of Gordonsville Road for most of Friday.
Hernandez says even if he loses everything because of the fire, what's more important is that his friends are safe.
"I'm unhappy but it's gonna be okay. I'm so thankful for my friends."
The cause of the fire was a faulty electric fuse as residents had the heat on.
The American Red Cross is working with the six residents to help with money, clothing and food.
Firefighters are on the scene of a two-story house fire that is causing some traffic backups.
The fire is located at a house off Gordonsville Road (Route 231) and Stony Point Pass, just north of the Route 22 split.
Firefighters say the home was engulfed in flames when they arrived shortly after 10:30 Friday morning.
Route 231 is closed both directions for fire trucks, VDOT has set up detours in the area for drivers.
CBS19 has a crew at the scene gathering information, and will update as information is confirmed
The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we only ask that you use your best judgment. E-mail is required, but will not be displayed with comment.
As a host Newsplex.com welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However this is a site that we host. We have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
If you have any ideas to improve the conversation or this section let us know. Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
powered by Disqus