February 27, 2013
Christopher Dumler says he may be a lot of things, but guilty isn't one of them.
"I remain confident, had we gone forward to trial, I would not have been found guilty of what I was charged with," said Dumler.
In October of 2012, the 27 year-old was charged with one count of forcible sodomy. In January, he made a deal with prosecutors and plead guilty to a misdemeanor sexual battery charge.
"We can talk about what evidence might have come forward at trial and we can speculate a lot. At the end of the day, I made the decision, it was not worth an additional $45,000, a year of my life, my inability to perform my duties in the us military, and all these collateral consequences that are associated with the criminal process. It was not worth those, for me to follow this through to what I'm certain would have been an acquittal."
Dumler is also saying he wanted to avoid a public trial airing out some embarrassing dirty laundry.
"The incident in question that led to the legal difficulties that I find myself in currently, started when I made a decision to go home with a woman, sleep with her, who I had been social with in Scottsville previously."
Although Dumler maintains his innocence when it comes to the forcible sodomy charge, he says he does take some responsibility.
"I've learned the hard way that I need to be more courteous to people I have close interpersonal relationships with, and quite simply, my behavior, my actions in this particular instance were wrong, and I'm sorry for that."
Dumler goes on to explain what exactly he is sorry for.
"The illegality, or legality of my actions not withstanding, anytime I do something that causes someone hurt or distress, obviously I've done something wrong and that's what I'm sorry for. by virtue of my actions, or by virtue of her reaction to my actions, she obviously upset, obviously distressed. That was never my intention. I never wanted to hurt anyone and all I can say to her was my actions were inappropriate and I'm truly truly sorry."