Landmark Hotel Safety Improvements Still Questionable

By: News Staff Email
By: News Staff Email

March 9, 2014

The Landmark Hotel has a few more pieces of plywood surrounding the first floor, but many question whether that's enough to keep the structure safe.

A group of contractors removed some of the green boards that were damaged on the outside of the structure last week. Charlottesville city council said something had to be done to make the Landmark safe.

The owner, John Dewberry, sent a construction crew from Charleston, S.C., to take care of the problem, but to people walking by, it's still an eyesore. They question if it's really safe.

"You see the concrete floors, and it's been sitting there for quite some time," passerby Tom Owen said. "You got your elements, your water, your freezing and thawing and stuff. So you might have some structural integrity issues."

Dewberry said he has secured the building and will begin work on it once he finishes another project in South Carolina.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 249212491 - newsplex.com/a?a=249212491
Gray Television, Inc.