No Injuries in Gordonsville Chimney Fire

By: News Staff Email
By: News Staff Email

January 18, 2014

Albemarle County crews responded to a chimney fire in Gordonsville Saturday afternoon.

It happened on Harrington Road shortly before 5 p.m. The fire spread between the first and second floors of the house.

People were inside the home at the time. They started to smell smoke, then called 911.

No one was injured in this case, and the fire damage was not extensive.

"Once crews were able to access through the wall and breaching the floor, we were able to extinguish what was in the house," East Rivanna Fire Chief Calvin Butler said. "right now, we're working on extinguishing the chimney, and this goes to show how important it is to have your chimney cleaned each year prior to using your wood-burning fireplace."

Fire crews used thermal imaging cameras to make sure there was no heat left inside the walls of the home.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 241033021 - newsplex.com/a?a=241033021