Officials: Harris Teeter Fire Caused by Sparklers


July 2, 2014

Officials determine the recent fire at the Harris Teeter in Crozet was caused by the inappropriate use of sparklers by a store employee.

Firefighters arrived shortly before 2 a.m. Monday morning and found heavy smoke inside the building. Fire crews worked to extinguish a fire in the service area of the store that had extended to the roof.

No one was hurt during the incident.

Officials say the fire was accidental and that there will be no criminal charges.

The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the property loss for this fire at $25,000.

The store reopened at noon on Wednesday, July 2.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265556611 - newsplex.com/a?a=265556611