January 8, 2013
The old Coca-Cola Bottling Works on Preston Avenue has been added to the Virginia Landmarks Register.
The facility was constructed in 1939 and is one of the city’s largest and most prominent examples of Art Deco architecture. The building’s front side highlights the company’s signature logo, which is set above a recessed entrance.
Coca-Cola used the building as a bottling plant until 1973, and thereafter as a distribution center until it closed in 2010.
Today it is being re-purposed using historic rehabilitation tax credits to house offices and laboratories for a company that specializes in immunodiagnostics and biotechnology.