WCAV WVAW WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News, Weather & Sports Newsplex

Portsmouth Replaces Heat Systems after 2 CO Deaths

January 20, 2013

PORTSMOUTH, Va. (AP) - More than 160 heating units at a Portsmouth public housing complex have been replaced following two carbon monoxide deaths.

The combined water heater-heating units installed at Swanson Homes are designed to shut down in the event of a malfunction.

Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority deputy director Kathy Warren says 163 units were replaced at a cost of $1.5 million.

Warren tells The Virginian-Pilot that agency officials are looking at converting the entire 210-unit complex to electric. But she says such a move would be costly.

Relatives found the bodies of 65-year-old Leroy Stith and his wife, 65-year-old Inez Stith, on June 21, 2012. Warren had said the gas-fueled heater in the couple's apartment malfunctioned and created a fatal level of carbon monoxide.


The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187681111 - newsplex.com/a?a=187681111