WCAV WVAW WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News, Weather & Sports Newsplex

Second Alleged Victim Comes Forward in Supervisor Christopher Dumler Sex Case

January 25, 2013

Just days before Christopher Dumler is scheduled to appear in court for a hearing on a forcible sodomy charge, recently filed court documents show a second woman has come forward, accusing the Albemarle County Supervisor of sexual assault.

Search warrants filed in Albemarle County General District Court, show a second woman has accused Dumler of sexual assault. According to the documents, the alleged victim told police she was raped and sodomized by Dumler multiple times between September and December of 2006.

Legal analyst Scott Goodman says the paperwork filed in court shows investigators are trying to prove a pattern of criminal behavior.

"It's a fact, when someone who has criminal tendencies and is arrested or exposed because of one act with one victim, it would not be surprising to find that person has also committed similar bad acts or illegal acts against other people at other times," said Scott Goodman, a Charlottesville attorney.

The 27-year-old was in his first year of law school at the University of Virginia in 2006, when the alleged assaults took place. In October of 2012, Albemarle County Police arrested Dumler on one forcible sodomy charge, stemming from an incident earlier that month.

Through text message, Dumler told CBS19 he wasn't aware of the new allegations and said he would be in touch with his lawyer. Fluvanna County Prosecutor Jeffrey Haislip has been appointed special prosecutor in Dumler's case, and called the second alleged victim's claims an "ongoing investigation".

Search warrants show investigators want access to the internet search history on Dumler's computer laptop and Ipad. The warrant also asks for access to all emails, photographs, and Facebook messages. The officer who filed the search warrant wrote, "Based on my training and experience, a suspect in sex crimes often communicate(s) with other like minded individuals or will often research their sexual fantasies on the internet or collect pornography depicting their fantasy." The document also shows both alleged victims communicated with Dumler through email, text message, and Facebook message.

"The search warrant would look for similar descriptions from Dumler regarding his encounters with victim number one and number two that would be incriminating against him and the Commonwealth could use that against him in his trial," said Goodman.

Special prosecutor Haislip said no decision had been made on whether to file additional charges against Dumler but said the investigation is ongoing.

"It could very well be additional criminal charges could be brought or this second victim could be used to testify about similar conduct," Goodman said.

Dumler is facing one forcible sodomy charge. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for January 31.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 188427111 - newsplex.com/a?a=188427111