'Spontaneous Combustion' Causes Albemarle Co. Mulch Fire

By: News Staff Email
By: News Staff Email

January 26, 2014

"Spontaneous combustion of the mulch pile."

That's the cause of an early-morning fire Sunday that caused damage to the Campbell Lumber Company on Plank Road in Albemarle County, according to the fire department.

Units responded to the site shortly before 3 a.m. and found a large mulch fire that ignited equipment, according to a press release from Albemarle County Fire Rescue. Blowing embers made several other buildings catch fire, but all were quickly extinguished.

The fire marshal's office estimates the loss from the fire is between $3,000 and $5,000. No one was injured.

The fire department says one way to avoid spontaneous combustion of mulch piles is to spread out the mulch and water it down to avoid heat buildup.


The comments sections of Newsplex.com are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from our viewers, but we ask that you follow our rules for commenting. E-mail is required to comment on a story, but it will not be displayed with your comment. For complete rules, CLICK HERE. The Newsplex reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 242106151 - newsplex.com/a?a=242106151
Gray Television, Inc.