September 17, 2013
Less than half of public schools in Virginia were able to met their yearly benchmarks in reading, math, and graduation rates. Two of those schools are part of the Albemarle County School System.
Scottsville Elementary and Woodbrook Elementary Schools have been classified as "Focus Schools" for this school year by the Virginia Department of Education. That means they will have to use state-approved improvement coaches.
"Scottsville and Woodbrook already have school improvement plans." says Phil Giaramita with Albemarle County Schools. "In addition to that we will be hiring or bringing on board an outside consultant or coach to help with those two schools."
This year 37 schools in Virginia were named "Priority Schools", meaning they underperformed badly, and another 73 were "Focus Schools", meaning the underperformed by a smaller amount.
New Priority schools are as follows:
· Buckingham County - Buckingham Coounty Elementary
· Buckingham County -Buckingham County Primary
· Franklin - S.P. Morton Elementary
· Henrico County - L. Douglas Wilder Middle
· Martinsville -Albert Harris Elementary
· Newport News -Willis A. Jenkins Elementary
· Norfolk -Campostella Elementary
· Norfolk - Lafayette-Winona Middle
· Norfolk -Jacox Elementary
· Norfolk -P.B. Young Sr. Elementary
· Richmond City -Binford Middle
· Richmond -Blackwell Elementary
· Richmond -Ginter Park Elementary
· Richmond -Oak Grove/Bellemeade Elementary
New Focus schools are as follows:
· Albemarle County - Scottsville Elementary
· Albemarle County - Woodbrook Elementary
· Bedford County - Moneta Elementary
· Bristol - Washington-Lee Elementary
· Buena Vista - Enderly Heights Elementary
· Buena Vista - F.W. Kling Jr. Elementary
· Fairfax County - Sleepy Hollow Elementary
· Lunenburg County - Kenbridge Elementary
· Mecklenburg County - LaCrosse Elementary
· Norfolk - Richard Bowling Elementary
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.