The parents of UVa student Mary Shelley Goldsmith, who died after taking a drug known as "molly", are speaking out about her death.
Rob and Dede Goldsmith will appear on the show "The Doctors" Friday to warn teens and college students that "molly" isn't as pure as they think it is, and that taking it can be deadly.
The Goldsmiths say they were shocked when they found out their daughter had died suddenly, but they were even more surprised to hear the cause. Shelley had taken a "molly" while out with friends at a D.C. club. Shelley's parents say she would never have taken the drug, had she known it was dangerous.
The drug is touted as a pure form of the chemical MDMA, the main ingredient in ecstasy, and it's been glorified in pop culture, and dance music. The problem, according to doctors, is that the drug can be cut or laced with other drugs, or may be another substance entirely.
Pat and Dede Goldsmith say that is what they want they want students to understand; that they are taking a substance, without knowing what it really is.
The Goldsmith's will be on "the Doctors" on ABC16, Friday at 10 a.m.