June 10, 2014
Some terrifying moments for a utility worker led to a high risk rescue. A man was working on power lines on top of a utility pole when he was shocked.
The first call that came in to rescue workers was for a vehicle fire. But when crews arrived at the scene, they realized it was much more complicated.
The vehicle was a utility vehicle, and trapped high up in the tension power lines, was a worker in a bucket that had been shocked. To make the rescue even more complicated, the fire crews and the power company had to secure and neutralize the power lines first. Then they had to use a tower ladder with fire fighters to get up to where the injured man was trapped in the bucket.
Albemarle Fire Chief Dan Eggleston says it was a dangerous situation.
"Any time you come in contact and have electrical burns that there are some burns that can actually happen that are not apparent from the exterior. You can tell from the truck that the truck actually caught on fire. The electricity seemed to go through the vehicle jump the tires from the ground and set the bottom of the truck on fire."
Crews were able to get the man down to assess his injuries. They found he had burns on 30 percent of his body.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.