WCAV WVAW WAHU | Charlottesville, Virginia | News, Weather & Sports Newsplex

Workshop Fire Caused by Spontaneous Combustion

March 4, 2013

Oily rags are being blamed on a fire that destroyed a wood shop in northern Albemarle County.

The fire started in the shed on Burnley Lane just before noon on Monday.

Volunteers with Seminole Trail, Earlysville, East Rivanna, Stony Point, and Barboursville responded to the call. Fire and rescue crews from Monticello, Hollymead and Albemarle County were also on scene along with Albemarle County Fire Marshals.

Investigators say the fire was the result of spontaneous combustion from oily rags, sawdust, and other debris.

Nobody was injured, however the fire did $80,000 in damages.


The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 195112811 - newsplex.com/a?a=195112811