22 American embassies and consulates in mostly Muslim countries shutdown Sunday, and many will remain closed until the end of the week.
The closures are in response to what some lawmakers say is the most credible, and grave terrorist threat since 9-11. Although Sunday, August 4th was believed to be a significant date, 19 of the embassies will be closed for the next several days.
"There has been an awful lot of chatter out there. Chatter means conversations among terrorists about the planning that is going on. Very reminiscent of what we saw pre 9-11," said Sen. Saxby Chambliss.
Members of Congress say intelligence agencies intercepted conversations between high-level people from Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula planning a major terrorist attack. Yemen is home to Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, which is the Al-Qaida affiliate charged with attacking Americans.
The Yemen facility and 18 others mostly in the Middle East and Africa will be shut down through Saturday. The State Department says it is out of an abundance of caution. U.S. authorities are concerned about a potential repeat of last year's riots and attacks on several embassies, including the deadly assault in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans.
Of the 22 embassies and consulates initially closed, a few posts reopened Monday including those in Afghanistan's capital and Baghdad.
There is also a global travel-alert though the end of the month. Americans going overseas are being told to be extra careful when traveling on public transportation systems and in tourist locations.