May 21, 2008
Snake bites are rare. However, according to UVa's Blue Ridge Poison Center there have been three poisonous snake bites in Virginia in the last week.
A woman in Ridgeway died from a copperhead bite.
A nine-year-old girl in Spotsylvania County and a man in Winchester were bitten and survived.
If you are bitten, doctors say call 911 immediately.
“Do not take a knife and cut over the area of the bite site. Do not suck on that area in an attempt to suck out the venom because one can be exposed to other parts of the body; the mouth for example,” said Dr. Kevin Wallace of Uva’s Blue Ridge Poison Center.
Doctors say stay calm, try not to move, and take fluids while you wait for help to arrive.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.