Grease Fire in Charlottesville Apartment

By: Whitney Holmes
By: Whitney Holmes

January 4, 2006

Firefighters responded to an apartment fire on Prospect Avenue last night.

Early information from the scene indicates a woman was cooking with grease. She dropped it on the floor, sparking the fire.

One woman and two children were home at the time. All three managed to escape safely.

Another woman on the first floor required assistance from rescuers.
Fire officials say it appears no one was seriously injured.

"We did have one person on the first floor apartment that was also in the building that would not leave. [She] had oxygen; police assisted her exit of the building ," explained Chief Charles Werner of the Charlottesville Fire Department.

Smoke and water damage was mostly confined to the unit where the fire originated.

The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2082586 -
Gray Television, Inc.