March 24, 2006
After your child is born, its important to take good care of your family, but, some of the most serious health problems for your kids can be found right inside your own home.
Here is some more information on how to keep your home a safe and healthy place to live.
"Lotions, make-up, you know, all kinds of things like that [which] kids might get a taste of," said Sue Kell of the Blue Ridge Poison Center.
Those are not the only items that can poison a child. Poison centers nationwide say almost any product inside a home could cause harm not only to a child, but even an adult.
"In the wintertime, we get lots of calls about medications, and in the summertime we get lots of calls about things outdoors," said Kell.
Kids often become poisoned after imitating what they see adults do. Whether taking a sip of alcohol, or accidentally ingesting a chemical, they are at risk. The outdoors can also be a problem for children.
"Folks will call about stings from bees, wasps, and we'll get snake bite calls," added Kell.
Poison centers are there to help more than children. Their efforts are highlighted for an entire week every March during 'National Poison Prevention Week'. The center used to depend on "Mr. Yuck" to keep kids away. Now, they just rely on a basic logo with the word 'help', and a telephone number.
"What we found was that children were attracted to Mister Yuck which is exactly opposite of what we want," said Kell.
With, or without any logo, the best way to prevent any type of poisoning is to keep products away from children.
You should also keep them locked away, and always read instructions carefully.
The number to call if you ever need assistance because of a poisoning is 1800-222-1222. Dialing that number will put you in touch with the Blue Ridge Poison Center.