April 26, 2006
Over a month ago a fire shut down a popular old restaurant, and the damages are worse than originally thought.
The Tavern was supposed to be re-opened one month after the March 15th fire but now the owner set the goal of July 1st, which is its 30th anniversary.
The tavern lies in the basement of the historic Monticello Hotel, which is nearing 100 years old. The fire was caused from a beer cooler that overheated. Most of the damage was from the smoke.
The tavern has been gutted and stripped down to its original layer. The owner has poured the cement floor and is re-doing the electrical wiring.
"It was well in excess of what was originally reported which was under $50,000. It's going to be at least double that," said owner William C. Curtis.
The owner describes it as new wine in an old bottle. The structure should look more or less the same, but with new additions.
Inside, the new restaurant will have more of a sit-down restaurant feel rather than a tavern feel.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.