August 15, 2006
A jury is hearing testimony in the circuit court trial of one of four teens accused of attacks on Albemarle County schools. This 13-year-old defendant was previously found guilty in juvenile court. He is appealing his conviction in Albemarle County Circuit court.
The trial got underway on Tuesday as 12 jurors were selected in a little over two hours.
The Commonwealth showed what they believe to be one of their strongest pieces of evidence, the defendant's video-taped statement to police. The teen described to detectives what he knew about a plot to use guns and explosives to kill students at Albemarle High School and Western Albemarle High school on the anniversary of Columbine, April 20 of this year.
The teen also told investigators in his statement that he thought it was all a "joke." The detective testified that in this day and age no one takes these kinds of threats as a joke.
The defense in their opening arguments said there was no evidence his client was involved in any conspiracy and no evidence of guns or explosives that can be tied to his client.
The trial is expected to last two days.
The three others found guilty in this case are also appealing their convictions.