Carbon Monoxide Leaks Inside Apartment Complex

By: Venton Blandin
By: Venton Blandin

October 17, 2006

An Albemarle County man is thankful for his working carbon monoxide detector.

Firefighters were called to his apartment in the Old Salem Complex off of Barracks Road for a report of a carbon monoxide leak.

Officials say the man walked into his apartment after work Tuesday morning when he heard his alarm sounding. He thought quickly on his feet by alerting his neighbors who called 911.

"I got everybody else that was home out. I tried to get the dogs out of the apartment above us, but was unsuccessful, and that was it," said Bryan Malstrom.

Firefighters say the leak started in another apartment, but spread to a couple others.

Six people were evacuated, but were let back into their apartments about an hour later.


The Charlottesville Newsplex 999 2nd Street S.E. Charlottesville, VA 22902 434.242.1919 – Main 434.220.7522 - Newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4421291 - newsplex.com/a?a=4421291